1921 - 1930
1921 Our club inaugurated "the Roaring Twenties" by the building of a new clubhouse on the comer of Gary and Flagler Streets, and the first PTA in South Jacksonville was organized by the club's Education Department. The club donated two sets of books to the new Southside Library.
1923 Settled in the new club home, the club joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs and acted as hostess club for the first District IV meeting.
1925 "Silent Cal" became president of the U.S, and our club raised $1,000 on its first Demonstration Fair, using this fund to purchase a baby grand piano, which is still being used by our club! To provide club training opportunities for younger women, the Junior Women’s Club was organized.
1926 Lucky Lindy became America's hero with his solo flight across the Atlantic, and with its membership soaring to over 1OO members, the club initiated a Scholarship Loan Fund. Sadly, a bank failure caused a loss of $272.35 in club funds.
1929-30 The stock market crashed, and the Great Depression began. Though the club had bought a new lot in Vila Alexandria for a larger clubhouse, hard times forced relinquishing of the lot, now the site of the Southside Presbyterian Church.
Call Cathy (904-642-4315) or
Jac (207-730-1659) for more information.